clinchers vs. tubulars

General discussion about the Victoria Wheelers

Moderator: vicwheelers

icraib
Your Ride: anything with two wheels
Favourite Ride Style: dirt and gravel

clinchers vs. tubulars

Post by icraib » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Looking for some feedback or guidance on moving over to tubulars. I've never used them. Anyone currently using them?
Ian

marcel
Your Ride: norco
Favourite Ride Style: road

Re: clinchers vs. tubulars

Post by marcel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:46 pm

I have a set of tub race wheels and have had on and off for years. The following is not what you'd call 'encouraging', but it's my honest opinion...

Tubular tires are a lot of work, and if you're not racing I would say it's not worth the effort. In fact, if you don't have a pro mechanic gluing for you and a team car following you around I'm not even sure they're justified for racing any more. High-end clinchers (like the cotton Turbos) with latex tubes feel as good as tubs to me on the road, and plentiful tubeless options for 'cross have a similar almost-tubular feel and performance.

Thanks!

icraib
Your Ride: anything with two wheels
Favourite Ride Style: dirt and gravel

Post by icraib » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Sound advice. I've just purchased a new road frame and came across some carbon tubular wheels at a discounted price.....which is the reason I was asking. Between your comments and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4dGMDtsq64 I'm not going down that road.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Ian

Agoraphobic Cyclist
Your Ride: Depends - Did I cut you off?
Favourite Ride Style: CX

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:18 pm

I was wondering if tubeless tubulars changes that at all? TBF - cotton Turbos have a solid reputation as the best road tire available. GP 4000s rank pretty well but I digress...

I've heard of people ripping through the glue (combination of torque and adhesion), but flatting is a concern that tubeless tech would offset. It was a year or so back that someone mentioned they were riding on tubulars, but packed flip flops/thongs in the event they flatted. I laughed, then they showed us the flip flops...

The longer I wait, the better the tech gets.