Single File

General discussion about the Victoria Wheelers

Moderator:vicwheelers

Agoraphobic Cyclist
Your Ride:Depends - Did I cut you off?
Favourite Ride Style:CX
Single File

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:45 pm

I finally got around to looking at the BC Motor Vehicle Act about cycling. I heard that two abreast was allowed, but didn't believe it. And sadly, the information is not correct - people have been right when they've yelled at us for riding in pairs. Section 183 (2) (d):
A person operating a cycle... ...must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway...
That said, vehicles crossing the center line with less than 30 meters visibility does not make the situation better. It sucks getting stuck behind slow traffic, but risking a head-on collision is plain stupid - there is no justification.

I have to work on falling back quicker.

marc
Your Ride:Norco Tactic
Favourite Ride Style:Road

Re: Single File

Post by marc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:29 am

The definition for roadway is:
"roadway" means the portion of the highway that is improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic, but does not include the shoulder, and if a highway includes 2 or more separate roadways, the term "roadway" refers to any one roadway separately and not to all of them collectively;
Given that 183(2)(d) has the specific term "roadway" used, not shoulder, there's room to argue the point. Also, of note, shoulder is not defined.

Agoraphobic Cyclist

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 am

Good point Mark, but I'd add that when riding single file where there's a shoulder or bike lane - don't travel on the line, overhanging into the roadway. IE: The portion of the highway between Island View Rd and Mt Newton Cross Rd. I can understand if there is debris, but that's why we call out glass and such.

I see the "be on top of the line" behavior constantly on the Goose, all forms of traffic. I thought the bell was for not spooking people as I pass, not "get out of the middle of the road".

Joe Gard

Post by Joe Gard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:29 pm

Another section is going through Mt. Doug Parkway. There is a shoulder and a lane. Technically we are allowed to ride one in the shoulder and one in the lane. But what's the point??? It only annoys drivers and they take it out on us. I know the law says we cannot ride 2 abreast on the road but common sense tells many of us that if we ride single file it would take too long for vehicles to pass us...depending on the size of the group. One more thing Andrew. I like your comment about having to get to the back quicker. I get really annoyed when riders sit out there for much longer than they have to. I try to get to the back quickly, thereby making the road more accessible to cars. Technically we are not riding 3 or 4 abreast at those times. We are dropping back or the other riders are overtaking us. I know it's insanity out there sometimes and we get yelled at a lot. There is talk of a 1 meter or 3 foot law coming in at some point. That would mean drivers HAVE to give us that much space when passing us. Last little diatribe...North Americans for the most part are stupid and unaccepting of bicycles on the road. Some areas however are getting better. I know we're not that cultural over here when it comes to bikes on the road but most of Europe and many other parts of the world are making it work though. We're too hung up on going nowhere in a big hurry. I DO get pissed off at a lot of riders when they show no respect. I drive a lot and ride a lot and I see both sides. Let's try to teach our fellow riders common sense and courtesy. It's only been 2 or 3 times in all the years of riding that I've been yelled at by a cop who is over zealous when trying to enforce the law. But I also ride with cops and they don't give a crap if they're riding double. We could discuss this forever but let's not. Hope you guys got some good rides in this weekend. Kim and I put on a B.C. Master race yesterday at Cherry Point so couldn't make the Sunday ride...but will be there next Sunday.

icraib
Your Ride:anything with two wheels
Favourite Ride Style:dirt and gravel

Post by icraib » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:14 am

This article is a worthwhile read:

http://www.rbs.ca/newsroom-publications ... ality.html

The law is antiquated but we must respect it.

I don't have an issue with two abreast but I do have an issue with cyclists who refuse to single up and purposely impede motorists which can generate a conflict and long term bad feelings.

RSA Ireland has put together a number of cycling safety related videos that focus on vehicles and cyclists learning to respect each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXXwtP0MWKo

Ian (the cop who doesn't yell at cyclists)

Joe Gard

Post by Joe Gard » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:20 am

Good ones Ian. Too bad so many cyclists don't have any common sense. Too bad so many drivers don't have any common sense too.

Agoraphobic Cyclist

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:24 am

It's anecdotal, but the sight of cyclists just freaks some drivers out. That's what I've noticed since paying more attention to drivers when riding single file to see if things improved. There's still the odd cyclist who's riding wide for whatever reason (overlapping wheels, falling back, chatting), which'll understandably annoy drivers (myself included, bike or otherwise). But the vehicles still seem timid about dealing with us, some getting incensed, when riding single file. They just have less to actually hold us accountable for, so we see the infantile rage for what it is.

Single file is legal, but paired has advantages:
  • Occupy less [lengthwise] space, which minimizes danger when vehicles pull out to pass. Sometimes with single file, we're taking the space of 3+ cars
  • More effective to be regarded as "taking the lane", so treated more like a vehicle - like how motorcycles travel