Fenders for Wet Road Days

General discussion about the Victoria Wheelers

Moderator:vicwheelers

Dean W.
Fenders for Wet Road Days

Post by Dean W. » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:49 pm

May I ask that on days when the roads are wet that people please ride bikes that are set up with fenders and a mud flap extender. Most people do go to the trouble of setting up a bike with fenders and mud flaps, and that's great, but really it only takes one in the group without them to get everyone covered in mud. Also, fenders without extended mud flaps are basically useless. The mud flap should be no less than about 4 inches from the ground to be effective. Old water bottles or other plastic bottles cut up and bolted or duct taped to the fender work just fine. Also remember that the roads in town here are often dryer than out on Lands End Road, which always seems to be wet this time of year.
If you do ride a fender-less bike please ride at the back of the group. It's just being considerate.

Thank you.

Agoraphobic Cyclist
Your Ride:Depends - Did I cut you off?
Favourite Ride Style:CX

Re: Fenders for Wet Road Days

Post by Agoraphobic Cyclist » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:47 pm

+1, it tends not to be an issue for regulars. I'd much rather have it on and not need it, than need but not have.

Here's a mud flap/extender example:
$15.75 at MEC
, saw some with the reflective cycling gear the other day. I imagine OBB has, or could get, something similar. Whatever material you use, the material needs to be relatively stiff or the spray will lift the extender to make it worthless.