Homemade - No Bake Clif Bars

General discussion about the Victoria Wheelers

Moderator:vicwheelers

Dean W.
Homemade - No Bake Clif Bars

Post by Dean W. » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:27 pm

image1 (9).JPG
image1 (9).JPG (124.38KiB)Viewed 5051 times
I love Clif Bars. I see that they are on sale at Thrifty's this week for $1 each. However, depending on the flavour, they sometimes seem to leave a strange chemically taste in your mouth. Reading the ingredients, you realize there are a lot of things listed and you don't really know what most of it is. It makes you wonder. Anyway I have been making my own Clif Bars for a while now and they taste much better than the bought ones. Also much cheaper. If you have a food processor, they are easy to make. There is a lot of latitude here and you can substitute many ingredients. I'm always trying new combinations. Here is one of the ones I like.

Ingredients:
1 cup of pitted dates- (I use the square bricks you get in the baking section and use about a quarter of a bar. If you want to pay more buy the whole ones, but use a few more.)
1 cup of raisins
4-5 heaping tablespoons of solid coconut oil, almond butter or peanut butter, or combinations of these. (Use more if you like them more gooey.)
3 tablespoons of honey.
1 teaspoon of coco powder
1 tablespoon of vanilla
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1-1/2 cups of rolled oats - don't use the rapid oats as they get really soggy.
1-1/2 cups of Rice Krispies ( I use the brown rice ones).
1/4 cup of Chipits chocolate chips. (I also frequently use dried fruit, like blueberries, cranberries or banana chips cut up.)

Add the dates (break up the dates if you use the brick ones) and raisins to a food processor and with your metal blade on, blend them up until they make a dry like paste or until it basically turns into a big ball in your food processor. In a saucepan melt the coconut butter, almond butter and or peanut butter, together with the honey over low heat, not high or it will burn. Add the coco powder and vanilla and stir until blended. Next, add the date/raisin pastey ball to the melted mix in your sauce pan and stir it all together over the low heat until well blended, making sure not to get it too hot. In a large mixing bowl, pour in your oats, Rice Krispies, chocolate chips, chia seeds and dried fruit (if you have it), then pour in your melted mix of dates/raisins/honey and nut butter etc. Spend a lot of time making sure the date/raisin/melted mixture is blended well with the oats and Rice Krispies/chia seeds etc. It works well to use your hands for this, messy but seems the best way to ensure all ingredients are well coated. When it is good and mixed drop it into a baking tray or other flat tray, but make sure you put down some parchment paper or wax paper so it doesn't stick. Pack the mixture in very firmly with a spatula and make it into a big flat rectangle, pushing down on the mixture to pack it firmly but keep it thick like a Clif Bar.

Put the tray into the freezer for two hours. Take it out and cut it into Clif Bar size pieces. That's it, simple. Store in the fridge and wrap one up whenever you go out for a ride. Enjoy! :D
Last edited by Dean W. on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

sonyareuter

Re: Homemade - No Bake Clif Bars

Post by sonyareuter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:31 am

Those look really good Dean. Your bars look a little healthier, but I thought you might enjoy this link:
http://winnipegcyclechick.com/winnipeg- ... ippy-bars/