Jeremy's Roubaix 2015

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator: vicwheelers

aruss
Your Ride: bikes
Favourite Ride Style: road, cx

Jeremy's Roubaix 2015

Post by aruss » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:26 pm

Early wake up, too early for a Sunday....unless that is, your going over to the Continent to race bikes. Joined by Andrew McCartney and Isaac LeBlanc the trio made their way across the Strait while yelling at a 4.75'' x 2.33'' screen which telecast some live feed of a big deal race in France. Zipping up the new South Fraser perimeter Hwy we crossed over the Mighty at Golden Ears and rolled into Pitt Meadows to sunshine and not a pig farm in site. The Sun was short lasted however as BIG black clouds let loose to a downpour, Nanaimo Beban Park style. Luckily Isaac had brought a tent of another bike store in town and we took turns warming up on his set of rollers. Isaac rolled out with the 1/2's five minutes before AMac and I tested our legs with the 3's. Quickly we were both pretty impressed with the depth and level of the riders (40 or so started) racing today. The course has ZERO elevation gain yet is tough in other ways with wind and gravel. The 9km loop is split pretty evenly between road and gravel. A more durable surface than the goose however, crushed rock with what felt like 20% fines. The fines will get yeah is what they told me. Glasses and a cap are essential to avoid foot 'n mouth and pink eye. While eating gravel off someones wheel in a cross wind while on the rivet you don't really notice the build up of grit in your mouth. When reprieve came with some asphalt, I furiously ripped into a gel and was pleasantly surprised with the mixture of gel and grit, dentist polish&fluoride flashbacks ensued. On the second lap the HR went up when this happened....

http://youtu.be/GWxD7jZwyq8

I was three wheels back but was able to use some cross skills to bunny hop a wheel and then hit the afterburners to reconnect. From laps 2-4, with a team the size of me, I had my go at developing a few breaks but without company. Lap 5 of 8 a pair of TAG riders went on the last section of the dyke with authority. Lap 6 we began reeling them back, however as soon as I thought we would connect a few other strong riders jumped across and provided a resurgence to the group that would prove to be decisive; Not enough jam on the day for me. Finishing somewhere mid-pack of the second group it was a good solid ride with a Wheelers Work Hard attitude and a bunch of fun.

Isaac turned a lot of heads by taking the 1/2 race in a sprint with RH Danick rounding out the podium as well! Great show. If photos arise I'll post a few.