VCL Caleb - June 1

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

ghomer
Your Ride:Scott Foil 10
Favourite Ride Style:CX
VCL Caleb - June 1

Post by ghomer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:03 am

Caleb Race Report - June 1 Edition

The final VCL before Victoria’s biggest cycling weekend is always a mixed bag. Predicting who will line up to contest the race is often more difficult than the race itself. One thing is for certain: those that choose race over rest are really willing to hang it all out there, and test their form before the Cameron Law Weekend.

The June 1 Caleb started slow – the pack willing to let Fabian’s from-the-gun move go, knowing full well he’d fall victim to the hill eventually – but once things got spicy, they got really spicy. ARuss, Eugene, Trevor and I all initiated or followed moves to ensure that VW was represented in any break that distanced the pack. Jordan and Dylan from RH were active, but the freshness of the pack meant that little quarter was given to moves in the early laps. Eight laps in, after a volley of attacks from all sides, ARuss manufactured a move, letting Dylan and I roll off the front to set about building something. The ex-Tripleshotter and I worked well together, establishing a good rhythm and maintain a high pace. Things got complicated when Jordan was allowed to bridge to the two of us, without a Wheeler in tow. Jordan adds legitimacy to any break, and I knew that no matter the strength of the chase, there was always the possibility that we could stick the move for the remainder of the race. My goals in the group of three were twofold: work enough to demonstrate to Jordan and Dylan that I wasn’t dead weight they should attack and counter attack to drop; don’t work too much to save something for an attack on the final lap.

Thanks to Dylan, and Jordan especially, the three of us maintained our gap until two to go. Trevor took a monster turn to set ARuss up for a bridge, but that was not to be. The ever lurking Cody capitalized and bridged himself, at which point I was done feigning working. Groupo compacto into the final lap, and we set about trying to set up Eugene for the sprint. It was not to be for our stud, with Cody and Riley overhauling our big man at the line. Onto Cameron Law.