VCL Caleb Pike killer Bs

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

marcel
Your Ride:norco
Favourite Ride Style:road
VCL Caleb Pike killer Bs

Post by marcel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Bike racing! Temperatures in the double digits! A strange bright light in the sky!

First race of the year brought a solid field of 30 or so to the B race with a strong showing from the Wheelers. Rich, Stephane, Brian, Mick, Garth, Calum, and myself took the start after some caffeine and furious strategizing at the Nest, with Barry, Dave, Chris and Saskia joining us on the line. The first 6 of 9 laps were pretty sedate, punctuated only by the sight of Aruss barrelling by with Mitch clinging to his back wheel, and some relatively strong comments between several members of the pack with respect to the etiquette of various passing techniques. I don't think it's appropriate to take sides on this other than to say that respectful language is always a wise policy in a residential neighbourhood on a Sunday morning. As agreed, there was a Wheeler willing and able to cover every move that happened throughout...

With 3 to go and having just been passed by Aruss, I reasoned that the finish hill and the likely neutrality of an imminent A pack pass might make for a good opportunity. I got a decent gap, but a lack of both early season form and breakaway companions left me out for only a lap before I was dragged back in. Unfortunately the most eventful lap of the race followed, with Stephane going down pretty hard in a valiant (and successful) attempt not to kill a small local dog loose on the course. Luckily he wasn't seriously injured, although he was unable to rejoin the race. Rich was also held up in the incident. Next lap was the bell, and coming out of the starting corner Garth strung us out to catch somebody who was hitting out. Looking over my shoulder I realized a few of us had pulled out a slight gap and yelled ahead to keep the pace up. A couple quick turns each and we were away, 6 Wheelers and a Tag rider left to fight it out. The legendary Barry Beck took the W ahead of Brian, with Mick rounding out the podium. Not according to our original plan, but very satisfying nonetheless.

Jacket on, I winched myself back up the hill just in time to see Aruss and Eugene take the 1 - 2 in the A race. All around, a great way to start the season. Looking forward to more to come!