VCL Speedway #1 - A Race

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

MaximEllison
Your Ride:Giant Propel / Norco Revolver 9.3FS / CAAD5 Track
Favourite Ride Style:Road / MTB / Track
VCL Speedway #1 - A Race

Post by MaximEllison » Thu May 04, 2017 7:14 pm

A group of six wheeler A's (Eugene, Isaac, Stephane, Mick, Trevor and myself, Maxim) made our own way to Western Speedway for the first TripleShot Speedway VCL of the year. While smaller than most of the Caleb Pike races, twenty racers lined up for the 25 minute + 5 lap race, including sizeable Pro-City and TripleShot teams. Notable absences were Broad St. Cycles, and a number of racers finishing their preparation for Tour de Bloom.

The race started off controlled, with a number of attacks being brought back by a fresh bunch. However, fatigue was building, and something would go soon. On the first 'sigh' of the peloton, roughly five minutes into the race, I decided to test my legs and attack. My move was followed by a lone pro-city rider Alex Hui, who was unable to work and dropped back to the bunch. I stayed off the front for around 5 minutes - gaining as much as half a lap at one point - but soon the chase was started in earnest and I was caught and dropped back to the bunch to recover for later in the race. Shortly after this Machine-Eugene attacked, followed only by Ryan Clarke of Pro City. With the two major teams of the race represented by these two riders the gap quickly went out. When the duo were within 100m of catching the peloton Eugene gapped Ryan on a corner, put in a dig, and lapped the field while Ryan, cracked by the effort, drifted back to the peloton. Wheelers: 1, Everyone else: 0.

The race continued with attacks going and being brought back quickly, until the last 5 minutes when a group consisting of Wheeler Isaac, Nick Rowe, Riley Pickrell, and *I think* one other rider made a promising move. When this group had 75m on the peloton I decided I wanted in, and launched myself out of the pack in a solo-bridge attempt. Presumably unhappy with the composition of the move, Isaac attacked and shattered the break just as I was making contact, dropping the unknown 4th rider and Riley, and forcing Nick to chase a now-solo Isaac. I managed to get on Nick's wheel and sat on, preparing for a counter in case Isaac was caught. In the end, Isaac stayed away solo, and I attacked Nick on the back straight to make it a 1, 2, 3 (Eugene with a lap, Isaac, then me) for the Wheelers, while Nick was caught by the peloton and Adam Attwell polished off the sprint. Also special mention to Erin Attwell of Red Truck for being the female representation in the race

The team is showing great ability to work as a unit and share work - while it was Eugene, Isaac, and myself on the podium, it likely wouldn't have turned out that way without Stephane and Mick controlling breaks and Trevor sitting on the front of the bunch at tempo. This teamwork is promising as we look to more VCL's in the coming weeks, as well as the Tour de Bloom and Robert Cameron Law Series.

- Maxim