May 14, Shawnigan Masters Race report

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

garthcampbell
Your Ride:Trek Emonda
Favourite Ride Style:Road
May 14, Shawnigan Masters Race report

Post by garthcampbell » Sun May 14, 2017 9:38 pm

It was another typical spring day in Victoria on the drive up to the Shawnigan Masters RR this morning, cool and wet with showers.

I arrived at sign up about 45 mins before race start and saw Mick Bryson, Marcel Rambo and Brian Green in the parking lot. After sign in we went out for warm up ride and talked about race strategy. As there was only four racers in the 50-59 age group, Mick and I would ride a tempo ride in our group until the 30 & 40 age group (they combined the two groups) caught us. Mick and I would tuck into this group and on the last lap, Mick would attack off the front on the last lap to get other teams/riders to chase him while Marcel, Brian and I sat in. This would hopefully burn the matches of the other riders chasing him which would leave us fresher for the finish sprint. Marcel and Brian would lead me out for the finish sprint and I would hopefully win the sprint finish.

Our group started 6 mins behind the 60-69 age group and the 30/40 group started 4 mins behind us. As we started climbing the first climb, one rider fell off the back and then another as we approach the top of the climb before entering Shawnigan Lake village...it was just Mick and I now. We stuck to our plan to ride tempo and see how long we would stay away from the group behind us. On the 4th lap we caught the 60-69 age group as we swung onto Shawnigan Lake Rd at Renfrew Rd...they hung with us until the climb back up to the village. We were now on the 5th lap and there was no sign of the group behind...we started to wonder if we would be able to stay away for the entire race? Mick and I picked up the pace on the 5th lap, still no group in sight as we started the last lap. At this point Mick said let's go for it! We notched the pace up again and stayed controlled until we swung onto Cameron Taggert Rd where we dug deep to make sure we didn't get caught in the last few km. In the last km, Mick lead me out to the bottom of the hill before the finish line which allowed me to take the overall win with Mick coming in 2nd. Our pacing (thanks to Mick) was perfect...our last lap was the fastest!

Brian Green took the bunch sprint for the 30/40 group, coming in 3rd overall. Clean sweep for the OBB Wheelers today!

Results aren't posted yet, but Mick won his age group as well as Brian Green and I believe Marcel Rambo did as well.

I want to thank the guys for the support in this race today!