VCL B Speedway #3

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

richm
Your Ride:a bike
Favourite Ride Style:road/MTB
VCL B Speedway #3

Post by richm » Thu May 18, 2017 9:10 am

Another win for the Wheelers! Garth, Deborah, Saskia, Marcel, Alex, Will and yours truly represented the Wheelers in last night's speedway race. After not really listening to John T. spiel about what happens if a breakaway laps the field, we were under way. The plan was to counter any attacks that were brought back but conserve energy for the inevitable group sprint. We did a bit of lead-out-train practice prior to the start of the race and it seemed to bode well for the race. However, following through on plans has never been my strong suit...

Marcel and Garth did a good job animating the race early on and Garth, an IRC and a tripleshot rider established a break around the midpoint of the race. Rather than sitting in as planned I spontaneously decided to bridge up, bringing 4 others along for the ride. Our group of seven wasted no time painting landscapes, we got down to the business of lapping the field... to be honest the other 6 in the break did the lion's share of the work (thanks Garth!) while I tried to recover from building a bridge and getting over it. Apparently I was not the only person not listening to John T., as there was some confusion about which bell was for which group. My only suggestion if it happens again is that the first sprint group should take the outside line after the sprint and the second sprint group should take the inside as to avoid threading the needle.

Anyways, bell lap for us, and I find myself in the perfect spot on the backside: third wheel. Final straight, give'r and done deal. Good fun, awesome support from the team!