June 21 - Caleb Pike VCL A Race

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

Nick
Your Ride:Tactic
Favourite Ride Style:Road
June 21 - Caleb Pike VCL A Race

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:24 pm

The longest day of the year brought with it a beautiful sunny evening for some racing with friends and teammates. We made the journey out to Caleb Pike for 50ish km of racing - 18 laps of the undulating course. We aimed to keep Ian Hendry (our newest welcome edition) in the BSC omnium lead, with his main rivals being Parker and Gordon. Right from the gun, we saw attack after attack, with the oh-so-chic 2017 black n' gold or the vintage blue/black/gold of day's past always present up the road. The peloton didn't let anything stick for too long however. I was hoping to see ARuss and Eugene stick it out as they had a nice gap for a good couple laps but the group had them back eventually. Shortly after the catch, a pile up of riders happened on the long stretch of road, with Ian Brown involved (luckily the elbow is good!). A couple laps later, I had my turn off the front for 1.5 laps, but there's just no stopping the peloton gathering speed down the big decent and I was inevitably caught. Chaos continued with words exchanged and blood pressures raising. Gordon Tulip sneakily got off the front somehow and with 2 laps remaining us Wheelers were frightened that Ian Hendry's omnium would be over. We got the train rolling and a HUGE pull from Mick got the bulk of Gordon's lead back. With one lap to go and the group back together, it was time to get organized and slotted for the unorthodox leadout to the uphill finish. Apparently Isaac and I had the same idea as we found ourselves engulfing the front of the pack as we slungshot by, riding two abreast. We grinded it out and went 1-2-3 with Eugene slotting in 3rd for a perfect sweep in both A's and B's. Unfortunately Ian Hendry got caught up and lost out on the omnium. A nice ride over Munn (with ARuss not realizing the race was over) brought the summer solstice to a wonderful end.

aruss
Your Ride:bikes
Favourite Ride Style:road, cx

Re: June 21 - Caleb Pike VCL A Race

Post by aruss » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Just testing ya Dumoulin!