Race the Ridge RR

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

Sam H
Your Ride:Ridley
Favourite Ride Style:Road
Race the Ridge RR

Post by Sam H » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:24 pm

After a week of perfect weather, rain ruled the day out in Maple Ridge. Nick M. and myself repped the Wheelers in the Cat 1/2 race, while Cole G. and Taro L. lined up in the Cat 4 race.

The race took place on a 10km loop that climbed up 150m, followed by a fast decent before a small kick back up to the Start/Finish.

The Cat 4 race was 60km long and Cole wasted no time bidding ADIEU to the field. The group came around together after the first lap but the second time around Cole had a 45 second advantage. At the finish, Cole had put almost 3 minutes into the group. Taro unfortunately had 2(!) flats.

The Cat 1/2/3 race had about 35 starters and was set for 100km of racing. Trek Red Truck had numbers and predictably started sending guys off the front like clockwork. Roughly 4 laps in, the commissaries decided the race by neutralizing the Cat 1/2/3 to let a non-existent group of masters pace while a TRT rider was alone off the front. About half a lap later, Nick rolled off the front just before the race was neutralized once more (this time the masters were there to pass). By the time the commissaire waved us on, TRT had about 2.5mins on the field, with Nick somewhere in between.

Nick was reeled in by the group with 3 laps to go at which point everyone sat up, froze to death and prepared to sprint for 2nd. The sprint was technical and I put myself in a bad position, going too wide into the final corner. Nick took a perfect line and gave it his best but ultimately ran out of gas after being alone off the front for half the race. Nick and I came across the line in 7th and 8th respectively.

Onwards!