RTR crit

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

Nick
Your Ride:Tactic
Favourite Ride Style:Road
RTR crit

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:16 pm

The racing continued on Sunday in downtown Maple Ridge, with wet weather continuing on. Cole and Taro represented the Wheelers in the Cat 4 race and I was left to fend for myself in the 1/2's, with Sam catching the early ferry to go to work (bleh).

The Cat 4 boys raced a spirited race and showed depth beyond their numbers (only 2) with Taro breaking away solo mid way through the race and Cole controlling things back in the pack, with his mind on the GC omnium. The advantage stayed the same for most of the race (around 20-30sec), but going into the bell lap the group started gaining on Taro! Fortunately Taro held the group off and took the stage win and 3rd in the omnium, and Cole took 1st in the omnium.

The Elite race got underway a couple hours later under similar wet conditions. The course involved one tight chicane and one no-pedal-180 so it was a little spooky going into the first lap. It turned out the be less sketchy than I thought it might be. I stayed near the front for the majority of the race and covered moves without burning too many matches, getting into a couple little breaks, each of which fizzled out. A few crashes did inevitably happen but I managed to stay out of trouble. Going into the last 5 laps I wanted to be in the front 5 or 6 guys. I did just that and held my ground pretty well. 2 laps to go I lost a couple wheels and drifted back a bit. Bell lap came quick and it was go time. I turned the gas on in the final straightaway but my positioning was a tad poor, so I had to settle for 4th.

Fun weekend of racing and good to see our small team represent so well.

aruss
Your Ride:bikes
Favourite Ride Style:road, cx

Re: RTR crit

Post by aruss » Tue May 01, 2018 6:05 pm

Great posts! The four of you represented the club very well at RTR. The old fellas will need to follow suit at Provincials/Nationals!