Windsor #1

Share your ride and race stories, stats, and fabrications here!

Moderator:vicwheelers

aruss
Your Ride:bikes
Favourite Ride Style:road, cx
Windsor #1

Post by aruss » Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 am

May long weekend marked the first of several upcoming Windsor crits on the VCL schedule. The A sign-in list spilled over to a second sheet with all the usual locals and a healthy mainland contingent from Pender. Eight Wheelers toed the line: Rich, Eugene, Brian, Logan, Ryley, Cole, Marcel, and yours truly. Fifty laps on tap under overcast skies and noteworthy winds from the SE. Off we went and things got spicy quickly. Rowe and a Pender rider got things started and then the several riders leap-frogged over to form a lead group of 11 riders by lap 5. Three Wheelers made the group in Cole, Eugene, and I. While establishing a half lap lead the group worked cohesively. It seemed after this cushion was formed many of the riders stopped contributing. If not for the efforts of Cole, Eugene, Atwell, and I this thing would of been shut down quite early. The gap would float between 25s while we worked the front to 10s when attacks from team-less riders occurred. Eugene took several solo efforts off the front which gave Cole and I some reprieve while the others had to bring him back. It may have been these efforts however that burnt a few of his matches for his final sprint. With 5 to go the gap was coming down, looking back I could see an orange Pender blob on the front of the chase reeling us in....it was go-time! Coming into bell lap I buried myself along the start/finish to give Eugene the chance of sprinting free from the chase. Cole then took over from corner 1 through corner 2. It was a blur after that but Riley Pickerell showed his man-child mustard with a dominant sprint for the W. Eugene made us proud with a 4th place finish despite a lot of effort all day.